4 egg whites
1/2teaspoon cream of tartar
1 Sponge cake recipe, baked in two 9-inch cake pans(or use an angel food cake mix)
Peaches and Peach Syrup:
6 or 7 peaches
2tablespoons rum or peach-flavoured vodka (optional)
1 pinch salt
Whipped Cream Frosting:
2cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 pinch salt
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
7 eggs yolks
3/4 cup cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon or orange peel
7 eggs whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 200F.
2. Prepare the meringue: Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks start to form. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until peaks are very stiff and sugar is dissolved. Beat in the vanilla and a pinch of salt.
3. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a pastry bag (or a ziplock bag with one corner cut off) to pipe small dollops of meringue onto the parchment, a little bit smaller than Hershey’s kisses. Or pipe the meringue in strips which can be crumbled once they are cooked and used to decorate the outside of the cake.
4. Bake meringue pieces for at least an hour and a half, until they are dry and completely crispy. Keep meringues in an airtight container or closed oven until ready to use.
5. Prepare sponge cake recipe or angel food cake in two 9 inch cake pans and bake. Cool completely in pans, then remove carefully.
6. Peel and slice peaches, and place sliced peaches in a strainer over a bowl. Toss peach slices with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar. Let peaches rest for about 20 minutes, reserving the peach juice that drains into the bowl.
7. Bring 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, and reserved peach juice to a boil, and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool. Stir in vanilla, a pinch of salt, and optional rum or vodka, if desired.
8. Stir 2 tablespoons sugar into the whipping cream and whip until medium-stiff peaks form. Stir vanilla into the whipped cream, and refrigerate until ready to assemble the cake.
10. To assemble cake: Flip sponge cakes upside down and brush each cake generously with the peach syrup, soaking the cakes.
11. Place one cake layer right side up on a serving platter. Spread some whipped cream over the cake, then crumble some of the meringue pieces and sprinkle the crumbled meringue (about 1/2 cup) over the whipped cream. Add a generous layer of peach slices (reserving some to decorate the top of the cake), then top with the second cake layer.
12. Spread whipped cream around the sides and top of the cake. Press meringue “kisses” or meringue crumbs into the side of the cake, and decorate the top of cake with peach slices, more whipped cream, and/or more pieces of meringue.
Chill cake thoroughly before serving.
Note: Some people like to add a layer of dulce de leche to this cake. One option is to split the sponge cake layers in half and fill them with dulce de leche before moistening them with the syrup. Or simply spread a layer of dulce de leche over the first cake layer, under the whipped cream, to add an extra layer of richness!
Heat oven to 325F.
Into a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the centre of sifted dry ingredients; add oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla, and lemon peel. Stir with a spoon or beat on low speed until smooth.
In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff peaks form. Pour egg yolk mixture over whites, gently folding with a rubber spatula just until blended. Do not stir or beat.
Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube cake pan. Bake for 55 minutes; increase heat to 350F and continue baking for 10 minutes longer. Invert pan over bottle or position between two pans or racks so the pan hangs without touching a surface. Let cool. Loosen sides gently with a spatula to remove from pan.
I love desserts but I am also ready to take on your buying and selling needs when it is regarding real estate!
If you need someone trustworthy on your team, I am available to represent you in a sale or purchase. Please get in touch with me if you are ready to buy or sell, or send along my information to a friend.
If you have questions about the buying or selling processes or the market in general, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I am always prepared to provide you with the best possible knowledge to inform your decisions. Together, we can achieve your homeownership goals!
I appreciate your interest and referrals, and can’t wait to hear from you!
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Arizona Department of Real Estate # BR5550696000
California Bureau of RealEstate # 01222569
“Equal Housing Opportunity”