Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons red food colouring
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups butter softened
3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and food colouring.
2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
3. In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
5. In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners’ sugar and salt until blended. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Crumble eight cookies and set aside.
6. Frost remaining cookies; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Store in an airtight container or freeze for up to 1 month. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 124 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Call me today with questions about buying a home or listing your home!
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
480.797.4884 / 619.250.6214
I am licensed in California and Arizona and we have offices around the country.
California Bureau of Real Estate Lic. # 01222569
Arizona Department of Real Estate Lic. # BR550696000
“Equal Housing Opportunity”